Sarah (Escaping Through Books)

Can You Keep a Secret?

Can You Keep a Secret? - Sophie Kinsella Here's my secret: I am in my twenties, but for the past two years, I've pretty much only read young adult books. Throughout college and even in high school, I typically read adult fiction, but ever since I started my working years, I've switched almost exclusively to reading YA books with teenage characters. Recently, I was in a bit of a book rut and I wanted something different than what I normally read to help me get out of the slump. Can You Keep a Secret? was the perfect book to do the job, and I felt refreshed after reading this funny and light book with a narrator around my own age. While I typically review just YA books (because, as I mentioned above, that's mostly what I read), I think Can You Keep a Secret? is a good example of a crossover book that would appeal to readers who enjoy YA fiction. There's humor and a good romance storyline that is pure wish fulfillment. Emma is a young professional who is low on the totem pole at work and spills all of her secrets to a stranger on an airplane ride after a disastrous business trip. This stranger, named Jack Harper, turns out to be her company's CEO, and a romance between Emma and Jack follows. The story is very predictable, but lots of fun. I've read one other book by this author: Confessions of a Shopaholic. These two books are very similar, perhaps because the main characters of each novel have nearly identical "voices" and personalities. I thought Emma was a lovable, but somewhat ditzy narrator, and her thoughts and dialogue made me laugh, cringe in embarrassment for her, and cheer her on. After reading this book, I find myself wanting to read more British chick lit. I enjoyed taking a break from books with high school settings to instead read a book with an office setting. I think I might branch out and explore more chick lit soon to mix it up with my standard fare of YA titles. I am very glad that I reached into the back of my shelf to pull out this easy, entertaining read!