Sarah (Escaping Through Books)

Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful, #1)

Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful, #1) - Jamie McGuire How do you rate a book when on the one hand you couldn't put it down and kept saying "Just one more chapter!" but then on the other hand, the message of the book makes you feel very uneasy?I'll first mention that this book was incredibly addicting. I flew through the pages of my e-galley, and then also purchased the audiobook (narrated by Emma Galvin, who is a great narrator) from Audible so I could continue with the story when I absolutely had to put the Kindle down to run errands and do chores and all that boring stuff. I also like how this book was "new adult." I am thrilled that books with college-aged characters and college settings are becoming a new trend! So while I couldn't stop myself from flying through this book, I also felt incredibly uneasy about my feelings toward this book. I did enjoy the story, and yet... Travis was violent, had serious anger issues, and was overly obsessed with Abby. A million red flags kept going up because his behavior was oftentimes alarming and terrifying. While he never physically abused Abby, he had no qualms about beating up practically any male (besides his cousin and Abby's gay friend) who came within a 10-foot radius of her, which freaked me out. But... I was still rooting for the two of them even though he seemed like a stereotypical abusive boyfriend. See why I am so conflicted and feel so uncomfortable about this book?It's such an awkward feeling to both love a story, but simultaneously hate what it represents. I feel kind of ashamed to admit that I liked this book because the relationship in it is NOT sending a good message out there. I've seen other reviews mentioning that this book is exactly like watching a disaster... you can't look away, and yet you are horrified by what you see. I think that perfectly sums up how I feel about this book.