Sarah (Escaping Through Books)

Tempest (Tempest Trilogy Series #1)

Tempest (Tempest Trilogy Series #1) - I was very excited to read Tempest because I love stories involving time traveling and don't think that there are enough of them! The first chapter sucked me into the story easily, and I was pleased to discover that I was able to follow Jackson's time traveling events without too much confusion about where we were in time. The book is in Jackson's point of view and reading a story with a male narrator was something different for me because most of the books I read have female narrators or main characters. However, sometimes I thought his voice for a 19-year-old male didn't quite ring true. One particular example that stands out in my mind is when Jackson was about to have sex with Holly for the first time and thought to himself that he couldn't remember the last time he was with a virgin. What on earth? He's only 19 years old! I unfortunately did not care too much about Jackson and Holly's relationship, and because this story was all about Jackson traveling back through time to save his girlfriend, I didn't become as engaged in this story as I would have liked. I found both Jackson and Holly to be kind of bland. The story just wasn't quite the epic romance I had hoped for because I didn't love the characters, but it was full of action that kept me turning the pages. However, I really did like Adam, Jackson's friend and a science nerd/genius who knew about Jackson's secret time traveling ability.The ending was a bit of a letdown for me, but I suppose all of the unanswered questions will be resolved in books two or three. This book has already been optioned to become a movie, and I do think a movie version of this book will be wonderful because the story has a great premise. I enjoy character-driven novels, and while I didn't find the characters in the book especially memorable, I hope and expect that the film actors will make me like and root for the characters in the movie much more than I was able to in the book. I can definitely see this as one of the rare instances where I prefer a movie over the book.