Sarah (Escaping Through Books)

The Scorpio Races

The Scorpio Races - Maggie Stiefvater This is a beautifully written story. The book was not the quickest read for me, but that's because the words flowed like poetry and I kept going back to reread lines, which made my reading experience very enjoyable.It took me awhile to get into the book, perhaps because I'm not really a horse person and this story is very much a love story between Sean and Coor, his capaill uisce (water horse) and Puck and Dove, her horse. Once I did get into the book, though, I became emotionally attached to these characters and their horses. Character-driven novels are always my favorite and this story was rich with memorable characters. Finn, Puck's little brother, was my favorite character because he was such a sweetheart. I actually thought the plot was somewhat slow--most of the book is spent leading up to the Scorpio Races and then the race itself takes place only over the course of a couple of pages toward the end--but I didn't mind at all because I was so satisfied by the other elements of the story like the characters and the setting (this book has a great atmosphere that makes you feel like you are a part of the story). This is not what I would consider a "happy book," as there is a lot of blood and death and several heartbreaking events. I usually favor happy books, but the gorgeous writing and the originality of the story won me over. I still prefer Maggie Stiefvater's Wolves of Mercy Falls over this standalone novel, but I was not at all disappointed in it. I will definitely be purchasing a finished copy of this book when it comes out next month!