Sarah (Escaping Through Books)

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer  - Michelle Hodkin I enjoyed reading this book, but I think my expectations were set way too high. All of the hype surrounding this book made this one of the top three books I was looking forward to reading this fall, and I was convinced that this would become one of my new favorite books. While I did race through the pages pretty quickly, I was left feeling somewhat unsatisfied with the story. Much of the story focuses on Mara trying to figure out if what she sees and if what happens around her is actually real or are hallucinations or dreams. After she somehow escapes an accident that she can't really remember but results in the death of three of her friends, Mara and her family move to a new town in Florida. She starts to see her dead friends (are they ghosts? is it just her imagination?) around the town and she is also worried that she is somehow the cause of strange deaths that happen near her. The first person narrative allowed me to feel her confusion and anxiety about whether she was going crazy right along with her, and as a result, I got sucked into the story easily. Her growing romance with Noah, the resident bad boy player at her new school, was a major part of the story. I liked Noah and enjoyed the dialogue between Mara and him, but he probably will fall short of my list of favorite male fictional love interests (it's a hard list to make because YA books are filled with some amazing fictional boys!). Even though I did look forward to scenes with him in them the most, for me the romance wasn't quite as hard-pounding as those in other stories. I have to say that I was very disappointed with the ending. The story ends with a massive cliffhanger that leaves me with far more questions than answers. I felt unfulfilled because not enough was resolved, and we have to wait another year for the next book. Even though it didn't become one of my favorite books, I still purchased a finished copy of it for my shelf because I did like it despite the ending.