Sarah (Escaping Through Books)

Everneath

Everneath - I've noticed that stories based on Greek mythology are becoming a new trend in young adult fiction, but I haven't had a chance to read many of them yet. Everneath was a great book from this genre and has made me excited to seek out other myth-inspired books!This story is inspired by the Greek myths of Orpheus and Eurydice as well as Hades and Persephone. I am not very familiar with Greek mythology, but the author was able to describe the myths clearly so that I could follow along and see the parallels of those myths with the modern retelling very easily (and even predict the ending of the book). I was a big fan of the romance between Nikki and Jack, which was enhanced by all of the flashbacks to their interactions and relationship prior to when Nikki was taken to the Everneath (an underworld). Jack was a very sweet, best friend type of guy, and I was really rooting for him throughout the book. The story also contains a love triangle, as Cole, who took Nikki to the underworld and away from her life on earth, is determined to bring her back down as his queen. Cole is the "bad boy" in this story, but he never became an appealing choice for a love interest for me.I really liked how the story unfolded by switching between the present (the six months that Nikki is granted to say her goodbyes before going back down to the Everneath) and the past (before she was originally taken to the Everneath). I had difficulty putting this book down because the plot kept me engaged and I cared about the characters so I wanted to find out their fates.Just off of the top of my head, I can think of several Greek mythology-based YA books that were published within the past year: Abandon by Meg Cabot, Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini, and The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter. I read and loved Starcrossed and I really enjoyed this book, so I foresee myself picking up the other titles pretty soon!