Sarah (Escaping Through Books)

Instructions for a Broken Heart

Instructions for a Broken Heart - Kim Culbertson From the summary of this book, I expected the story to be a fun contemporary romance where an American girl meets and falls in love with a cute Italian boy on her trip to Italy. However, to my disappointment, this was not at all what the book was about, as there was very little romance in it. The storyline instead focused on how Jessa "discovers herself" in Italy after breaking up with her boyfriend right before the trip, and I have to admit that these type of self-discovery books really are not my thing. When I was in high school, I went on a very similar trip to Italy that Jessa experienced--it was a ten day trip with about fifteen or twenty other high school students where we hit all of the country's hotspots (Rome, Venice, Capri, etc.) and traveled on a bus to get from place to place. My similar travel experience helped me relate to this book because I was fondly remembering my own trip while the travel group in the story went from city to city, but I didn't feel like the settings were described well enough to fully transport me back to Italy. There were some characters in this book who I really liked, such as her best friend, Tyler, but the book fell flat because of the boring storyline (and I didn't care much at all about what the various envelopes from her friend back home said). Maybe I would have enjoyed the book much more if I wasn't so misled by the summary and didn't have any expectations about what type of story it would be. Instructions for a Broken Heart was not a bad book, but it did not live up to its potential. One final warning: it might cause you to crave pasta and gummy bears!