Sarah (Escaping Through Books)

Tris and Izzie

Tris & Izzie - Mette Ivie Harrison I did not enjoy this book at all. The premise sounded intriguing and the cover was pretty, but the story itself was boring with flat, undeveloped characters, poorly written dialogue, and a romance that made me roll my eyes more times than I can count. It’s a pretty short book at under 300 pages, but it took me forever to trudge my way through it.One of my biggest pet peeves is when writing is dumbed down in YA books. This was definitely the case with this story. The narration was often incredibly awkward with a forced teen voice that ended up seeming unrealistic. There were so many exclamation points thrown about throughout the story to express excitement, anger, surprise or any emotion whatsoever. I felt like this was written for a middle school girl, but I think my middle school self would’ve greatly disliked the narration as well. I did not emotionally connect to the story on any level. I really cannot recommend this book because the writing was unpolished and immature. If this had not been a review book, I would have put it down and gladly not finished it.