Sarah (Escaping Through Books)

Passion (Lauren Kate's Fallen Series #3)

Passion - Lauren Kate PASSION is by far my favorite book of the Fallen series (I haven't read the fourth and final book yet, though). I enjoyed FALLEN, but I didn’t bother picking up TORMENT, the second book in the series, until more than a year and a half after it was released, which indicates how the series wasn’t exactly a top priority read for me. I was disappointed with TORMENT because it felt like a "filler" book that didn't add much to the overall storyline of the series. This book, however, really sparked my interest in the series again, so now I am looking forward to reading RAPTURE, the fourth and final book in the series.This installment is very different than books one and two of the series. Luce travels back in time via Announcers to visit her various past lives in an attempt to figure out how to stop the curse surrounding her relationship with Daniel. Some of places and times we visit with Luce include Moscow during World War II, Elizabethan England (the time of Shakespeare), and ancient Egypt, just to name a few. In each visit to a new place and time in history, Luce witnesses the romance that the past “Luce” experienced with Daniel. As a result, we get a historical fiction book involving time travel and an epic romance featuring star-crossed lovers. This particular type of story is exactly the kind of book that I love to read. I felt that PASSION surpassed the previous two books in the Fallen series because it offered much more than a standard paranormal YA romance storyline.What I especially enjoyed about this book is that we finally see some depth and development in Daniel and Luce’s characters. This book made me care about their relationship much more than I ever did before. When I read TORMENT, I actually didn’t mind the idea of Luce getting together with her new friend Miles instead, but now I am rooting for her happy ending with Daniel in the last book of the series.