Sarah (Escaping Through Books)

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles Series #1)

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles Series #1) - Fairy tale retellings aren’t really my thing and neither are futuristic sci-fi novels, so I started this book with much apprehension, not expecting to particularly enjoy it. However, the first chapter captured my attention quickly, and I am very glad that I expanded my reading horizons to give this book a chance, despite my hesitations.Cinder is a cyborg (meaning that she is mostly human, but has some robotic parts) and has the reputation of being the best mechanic in New Beijing. Cinder works to support her cruel stepmother and two stepsisters, Pearl and Peony. Pearl is just as mean as her mother, but Peony is gentle and kind. Cinder is a wonderful protagonist, and I loved all of her sarcasm. I also really enjoyed all of her interactions with Prince Kai, who visits her booth in the market to see if she can repair his android. Cinder had a lot of lines throughout the book that made me laugh out loud, and of course, my favorite parts were when she and Prince Kai were talking to each other.Besides great characters, this story also has a unique setting and an exciting plot. A major plague outbreak in the city has everyone living in fear for themselves and their families because there is no known treatment, while the evil Lunar Queen is intent on gaining power and control over their country through a marriage alliance with the prince. I will say that much of the book was predictable, but that didn’t make it any less enjoyable.This book is obviously a retelling of Cinderella, but it was one of the most original books I’ve read in awhile. I was hoping for a more wrapped up ending, but am really looking forward to the next book in the Lunar Chronicles.